Monday, December 25, 2017

Eggless maida-wholewheat-ragi fruit cake.

I was feeling so lazy to bake a cake, then came my darling daughter asked me Amma shall we bake a cake for Christmas..I was so excited since this is the first time my 3.5yr darling have asked me something. 
 I remember during my childhood days my dad's friend used to bring cake for Christmas, and my dad usually gets me authentic plum cake..as days passed, wherever I am, I used to buy the plum cake and relish..you can say my love for baking and cake was associated a lot with this cake because we just used to get this cake only once in a year. Since I usually bake eggless cake, I baked this cake by soaking the fruits in Orange juice yesterday and baked it now...Of course how can one keep quiet when you are a member in this hbg..thanks to all..Merry Christmas all..
I figured out there was little butter in my pantry. So I customized my recipe according to my pantry. Since I didn't do much preparations work, this is what I did.

Soaking of fruits- a day before event. The measurements can vary according to ones taste. I eyeballed most of them.
 Orange juice - 1 cup.
 Raisins (both black and brown)- 1/4 cup.
 Apricots -4-5 nos.
 Prunes - 4 nos.
 Glazed cherries- 4-5 nos.
 Fig- 3-4 nos.
 Please add candied orange peels if you have.
 Nutmeg powder- 1 tsp.
 Cinnamon powder-1 tsp.
 Elaichi powder- 1 tsp.
 Clove powder- 1 tsp.
 Aniseed powder (crushed)- 1 tsp.
 Ginger powder- 1 tsp.  
 Doesn't it smell heavenly....yes, try to put it in glass jar by giving a quick mix.
Chop all the nut required according to your wish and slightly toast then and dust with some flour.

Okay now comes the cake recipe...
Maida- 50 gm ( I added maida, just to get soft kind cake)
Ragi- -50 gm.
Whole wheat- 100gm.
Cocoa powder- 1 tbl sp.
Milk powder- 90 gm
Butter- 38 gm
Oil (I used rice bran)- 50ml
Brown sugar- 150 gm (u can increase by 20-30 gm)
Thick butter milk- 3/4th cup.
Milk- 1 cup
Baking powder- 1.5 tsp.
Baking soda- 1 tsp.
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
Method.
Prepare a cake tin using butter and lining with parchment paper.
Sieve all the flours, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda 2-3 times.
Take a mixing bowl and beat butter oil mixture with sugar until fluffy. Add buttermilk then milk powder simultaneously. Please add milk mixture with flour and fold the mixture. Finally fold the fruit mixture and nuts in the batter. Preheat the oven 180 degree Celsius. Pop the cake with batter with 3/4th tin filled inside oven. Bake for an hour or until the toothpick or skewer comes out clean.Cover with aluminum foil after 20 min such that the top won't get burnt. Enjoy the smell...happy baking.






No comments: